Skip to main content

Artist Talk Jeffery Manor Branch, Chicago Public Library

Norman W. Long
Artist Talk
Jeffery Manor Branch, Chicago Public Library
2401 E. 100th St, Chicago, IL 60617
Saturday January 20, 2018
3:30 - 4:30 pm

You are invited to an artist talk with Norman W. Long, a local artist from the Jeffery Manor neighborhood.
This is the first in a series of community engagements with the SouthEast side community as part of his Threewalls RaD Lab Fellowship.


Norman W. Long is an artist who works with sound as his medium. His work involves recorded sounds from the Jeffery Manor neighborhood and the larger community of South Deering. Norman will explain how the neighborhood has inspired his work and discuss the many ways he produces his art, from organizing soundwalks, DJing, field recording, instrument making to composing with free software. Norman has received a 3Arts Award for Sound Art in 2012, BOLT Artist in Residence at the Chicago Artists Coalition in 2014-2015, 3Arts Fellowship at AS220 (Providence, RI) 2017 Artist in Residence program, 3Walls RaD Lab Fellow for 2017-2018 and Guest Composer at EMS Elektronmusikstudion, Stockholm, Sweden made possible in part by the City of Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events grant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Listening Day - Soundwalks- Reflections

After participating in this year’s World Listening Day programs this weekend I began to reflect on what lead me to my involvement. I rarely talk about what exactly lead to my interests in soundwalks, soundscapes and composition, because I felt they were too personal. Especially when I’m talking about practices in sound art and acoustic ecology many deem as esoteric and inaccessible. But the roots of my practice came from a toxic climate of race, economics, violence, politics and place that we experience today. I moved from Chicago to Oakland, California in 1998 to study art in San Francisco at the height of the first dot-com boom. I was there to have time and space to be a better artist and for self-recovery. Unfortunately, most people I had dealings with there treated me as if I was there to take their spot in the art scene, take jobs, housing and opportunity away from them. All this, while still being treated as a degraded other, in particular being harassed by the Oakland Pol...

Dal Niente + Norman Long

Dal Niente + Norman Long,  Friday, December 8, 2023 8:00 PM  9:30 PM Co-Prosperity Sphere3219-21 S Morgan Chicago, IL FREE Dear Friends Thank you all for your support this year. I am honored to have been invited to participate in Ensemble Dal Niente's program at Co-Prosperity tomorrow night. I'll perform a live mix of field recordings from Oakland, San Francisco, Redwood City, Yucca Valley, and modular synthesis exploring the transitions from contested space to alter destiny.   Set I: Ensemble Dal Niente Orlando Garcia,  Escher Variant 1  for flute, clarinet, harp, vibraphone Sarah Nemtsov,  Zimmer IV  for flute, piano, 2 performers, and electronics Set II: Norman Long text and image:  https://www.dalniente. com/all-events/2023/12/8/dal- niente-norman-long

World Listening Day 2020 - The Collective Field, Reflections & Recordings by Norman W. Long

You are invited to participate in World Listening Day 2020, an annual global event held every July 18. This year’s theme is THE COLLECTIVE FIELD created by Wild Sanctuary Vice President, Katherine Krause. The Collective Field There is something new afoot. The field itself is changing. The creature world knows.  The creative one does too.  So what does it mean now to listen? How do we express what we know? Be alert. Individually and in concert, There is sanctity in it. Amid new conditions, travel the field and explore By call and response The rhythm within.  How does your song fit Within the collective chorus?   https://www.worldlisteningproject.org/world-listening-day-2020-the-collective-field/ World Listening Day 2020 - The Collective Field: Thoughts & Recordings by Norman W. Long: I do not know what it means to listen now. But it is a good question as I sit and listen to a community isolated from the rest of the city o...