Skip to main content

MYTH/SCIENCE DUBCOLOGY II



DATE:                         Saturday, October 11, 2014
                                    Doors open at 7pm
                                    Music starts at 8pm

LOCATION:               Experimental Sound Studio
5925 N. Ravenswood Ave.
Chicago, IL  60660

You are invited to attend Myth/Science Dubcology, an electro-acoustic improvised performance event that features Norman W. Long (field recordings, samples, electronics), Angel Elmore (piano, clarinet), Dan Godston (trumpet, small instruments) and AVREEAYL RA (percussion). Curated by Norman W. Long. $10 suggested donation.

Myth/Science Dubcology is a tribute to Sun Ra on his 100th anniversary of his birth and Washington Park, reflecting on the creative and cultural space the composer and the park creates. Myth/Science Dubcology follows Norman’s practice of gardening, collecting and creating as a way to connect people to history, space, ecology and community. This practice fulfills a need for us to understand our ecology, history and sense of place through sound.  Through this understanding we can improve our communities.  Norman will be improvising and processing my recordings live with AVREEAYL RA , Dan Godston and Angel Elmore. This performance will be in the spirit of creativity in using sound and space as Sun Ra and the park’s designer Frederick Law Olmsted had in composing and designing.  It is also important to note that he will be working with the Creative Audio Archive (CAA) and their archive of Sun Ra recordings.

Links:
·      Borderbend Arts Collective: www.borderbend.org
·      Chicago Calling Arts Collective: www.chicagocalling.org
·      Experimental Sound Studio: http://www.experimentalsoundstudio.org
·      Myth/Science Dubcology: http://3arts.org/projects/mythscience-dubcology
·      Norman W. Long: http://normanwlong.wix.com/soundartdesign




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Listening Day - Soundwalks- Reflections

After participating in this year’s World Listening Day programs this weekend I began to reflect on what lead me to my involvement. I rarely talk about what exactly lead to my interests in soundwalks, soundscapes and composition, because I felt they were too personal. Especially when I’m talking about practices in sound art and acoustic ecology many deem as esoteric and inaccessible. But the roots of my practice came from a toxic climate of race, economics, violence, politics and place that we experience today. I moved from Chicago to Oakland, California in 1998 to study art in San Francisco at the height of the first dot-com boom. I was there to have time and space to be a better artist and for self-recovery. Unfortunately, most people I had dealings with there treated me as if I was there to take their spot in the art scene, take jobs, housing and opportunity away from them. All this, while still being treated as a degraded other, in particular being harassed by the Oakland Pol...

Dal Niente + Norman Long

Dal Niente + Norman Long,  Friday, December 8, 2023 8:00 PM  9:30 PM Co-Prosperity Sphere3219-21 S Morgan Chicago, IL FREE Dear Friends Thank you all for your support this year. I am honored to have been invited to participate in Ensemble Dal Niente's program at Co-Prosperity tomorrow night. I'll perform a live mix of field recordings from Oakland, San Francisco, Redwood City, Yucca Valley, and modular synthesis exploring the transitions from contested space to alter destiny.   Set I: Ensemble Dal Niente Orlando Garcia,  Escher Variant 1  for flute, clarinet, harp, vibraphone Sarah Nemtsov,  Zimmer IV  for flute, piano, 2 performers, and electronics Set II: Norman Long text and image:  https://www.dalniente. com/all-events/2023/12/8/dal- niente-norman-long

World Listening Day 2020 - The Collective Field, Reflections & Recordings by Norman W. Long

You are invited to participate in World Listening Day 2020, an annual global event held every July 18. This year’s theme is THE COLLECTIVE FIELD created by Wild Sanctuary Vice President, Katherine Krause. The Collective Field There is something new afoot. The field itself is changing. The creature world knows.  The creative one does too.  So what does it mean now to listen? How do we express what we know? Be alert. Individually and in concert, There is sanctity in it. Amid new conditions, travel the field and explore By call and response The rhythm within.  How does your song fit Within the collective chorus?   https://www.worldlisteningproject.org/world-listening-day-2020-the-collective-field/ World Listening Day 2020 - The Collective Field: Thoughts & Recordings by Norman W. Long: I do not know what it means to listen now. But it is a good question as I sit and listen to a community isolated from the rest of the city o...