Skip to main content

#ghostship


I am deeply hurt by this tragedy in Oakland. These artists these people did not deserve to die this way.  I didn’t know anyone who died but just because of who they were and what they do, did not mean they had to live, work and play in such poor conditions. These people gathered there because there weren’t many other places to live and work. The reason why we call art a practice is because you have to do it over and over to get what you want out of it. But if you’re poor, “different” and your practice or work doesn’t cater to those in power or have influence, your options are limited. And we make the best out of those limitations. I’m sure that night was like any other night where they had an opportunity to share their work and have fun.


I’m writing this to myself, and particularly those who are not poor and not artists. I remember growing up in the 80’s where callousness was embedded in me. I grew up with that thing of if you were different in any way from your group or community you gave up your right for respect, education, mentorship and protection. I can’t help but think of those times, how it could have been me in that fire, and how this culture of cruelty laid the groundwork for this tragedy and the very real tragedy that is our housing system.  As an artist and as someone who has worked in a housing non-profit, I can say that this kind of tragedy can happen anywhere and anytime.  The availability for low-income and affordable housing for artists, the poor, working poor, ex-felons, the disabled and veterans is virtually non-existent. Opportunities for veterans have improved over the years but not for anyone else (in Chicago). Reports say the CHA is sitting on millions of dollars that could be used for vouchers or building new homes. This situation leaves people like me very vulnerable. Some stay with family or friends. Some get involved in shady rental deals and get swindled out of rent money by building owners and bogus landlords. Some squat and die in fires due to negligence because they’re just artists and they should have gotten a “real job”. For us it is a real job. Maybe our second or third but it is very real and most of us work very hard at it. Some of us get weeded out by HR, ED’s, curators, bookers, professors, teachers, elders, family, gatekeepers, gallery directors and critics, but we keep going. We make opportunities and spaces for ourselves. We don’t wait for someone to give us permission to do what we do, to hire us, book us or curate us. We deserve respect and protection for what we do.  Why should we have to put our lives in danger just to do our art? We deserve nothing less than a right to fair housing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Listening Day - Soundwalks- Reflections

After participating in this year’s World Listening Day programs this weekend I began to reflect on what lead me to my involvement. I rarely talk about what exactly lead to my interests in soundwalks, soundscapes and composition, because I felt they were too personal. Especially when I’m talking about practices in sound art and acoustic ecology many deem as esoteric and inaccessible. But the roots of my practice came from a toxic climate of race, economics, violence, politics and place that we experience today. I moved from Chicago to Oakland, California in 1998 to study art in San Francisco at the height of the first dot-com boom. I was there to have time and space to be a better artist and for self-recovery. Unfortunately, most people I had dealings with there treated me as if I was there to take their spot in the art scene, take jobs, housing and opportunity away from them. All this, while still being treated as a degraded other, in particular being harassed by the Oakland Pol...

Dal Niente + Norman Long

Dal Niente + Norman Long,  Friday, December 8, 2023 8:00 PM  9:30 PM Co-Prosperity Sphere3219-21 S Morgan Chicago, IL FREE Dear Friends Thank you all for your support this year. I am honored to have been invited to participate in Ensemble Dal Niente's program at Co-Prosperity tomorrow night. I'll perform a live mix of field recordings from Oakland, San Francisco, Redwood City, Yucca Valley, and modular synthesis exploring the transitions from contested space to alter destiny.   Set I: Ensemble Dal Niente Orlando Garcia,  Escher Variant 1  for flute, clarinet, harp, vibraphone Sarah Nemtsov,  Zimmer IV  for flute, piano, 2 performers, and electronics Set II: Norman Long text and image:  https://www.dalniente. com/all-events/2023/12/8/dal- niente-norman-long

World Listening Day 2020 - The Collective Field, Reflections & Recordings by Norman W. Long

You are invited to participate in World Listening Day 2020, an annual global event held every July 18. This year’s theme is THE COLLECTIVE FIELD created by Wild Sanctuary Vice President, Katherine Krause. The Collective Field There is something new afoot. The field itself is changing. The creature world knows.  The creative one does too.  So what does it mean now to listen? How do we express what we know? Be alert. Individually and in concert, There is sanctity in it. Amid new conditions, travel the field and explore By call and response The rhythm within.  How does your song fit Within the collective chorus?   https://www.worldlisteningproject.org/world-listening-day-2020-the-collective-field/ World Listening Day 2020 - The Collective Field: Thoughts & Recordings by Norman W. Long: I do not know what it means to listen now. But it is a good question as I sit and listen to a community isolated from the rest of the city o...